Tuesday, April 9, 2013

To Say Or Not To Say

Earlier this week, I was re-reading my post last March 16 and to my horror, saw what I had written on the 2nd to the last paragraph! I was surprised that I even said such a thing! I felt bad. I hope I didn't discouraged other moms out there. You know, I have good intentions, really. I want to encourage other moms or make them feel that they are not alone. I want them to know that it doesn't mean their child has a disability, means they can't have happy ending. But it's just that.... sometimes... or most of the times... it doesn't come out the way it's supposed to be, ha!

Speaking of not saying the right things, few weeks ago, I ran into this blog (from another mom whose child also has DS) and read a post of "what and what not to say" to a parent who has Down Syndrome. Honestly, after reading that post, I felt even more confused, and I have a child who has Down Syndrome. Don't get me wrong, I think there are some good pointers there & I understand that when Isabella was still in the hospital with one problem after the other, I got really sensitive. But it's really hard to know what and what not to say & when & when not to say things. I guess it depends on who the person is & how well you know them. Nowadays, I find that you can easily offend someone just by saying "Don't worry about it". They'd think you're assuming that they are worrying (even if they already said they do), or maybe you're comparing things or that you're being too positive that it sounds unrealistic to them.

Sometimes, people will come up to me and say, "You're lucky because you're going to have a happy child". I admit, sometimes it gets to me because we all have our own temperament regardless we have disability or not & I feel it's wrong to assume that because my daughter has Down Syndrome, that she will be a happy child - all the time. It's like saying that all red head people are hot tempered - and no one can get away with it or that I'm a bad driver because I'm Asian (aren't I? haha, joke!). In the end, I try not to be bothered by it because people mean well and as much as it's difficult for the parent, I think it's hard for the people around them too.  As long as I know their motive is good, that's good enough for me!

Yesterday, we finally were able to go to the pool after missing it for 4 or 5 weeks because of Isabella's cold. It was fun & I think Isabella enjoyed it more this time! There were some new faces too & heard some new stories. I hope I can take pictures next time to show you.

Tomorrow, we're going for Isabella's holter. We had her echo and ECG a couple of weeks ago and it seemed good! Now, if she doesn't have any extra heartbeat this time, she's going to be off this particular medication she's into to regulate or slow down her heart rate. Yay!!

 Just sharing these photos I took of the family last couple of weeks.

I feel like my kids all have mischievous faces, even this little girl!
 

See, now it shows her personality, hahaha. She loves pulling hair - and guess who her favourite toy, I mean person is? 

This photo has slightly different color because of different light.
I don't know what it is with boys these days but mine definitely are growing their hair long! 

Having a good time! Aren't you done pulling hair yet, Bella?

While I see a lot of my friends on FB getting busy with losing weight, working out & eating right,
I was also busy chomping on my midnight Kozy Shak snack, baking cookies, cheesecake,
or generously spreading Nutella on my dinner roll, haha! I guess, all my bad eating
habits is starting to pay off! lol.

For Bella, as long as you have a hair, she's good to go! Pulling hair again. 


It's all in the feet! Hahaha. 



It's going to be a busy month - we are moving to a new home! :)
'Til then! Enjoy the little things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...